17 June 2010

A mission is an amazing experience

The Lord is really blessing us in Nickerie. We did not have a baptism as planned because our friend moved and we had the hardest time finding his house, but he came to church and we will be having his baptism this coming Saturday. That way we can help the mission with our goal of all companionships baptizing this transfer.

My new companion, Elder Freeman is doing fine. He is still adjusting to the new culture and does not speak a lot. I still do a lot of the teaching. I try to get him to speak more, but he get nervous and stutters and shares something really short and looks at me to continue. I think he'll get the hang of it soon. He is a good kid. He does not complain and he works hard. He is just still very new. I remember when I first came out. I think I might have been the same way to some extent.

Elder Freeman and I are now in Paramaribo because he had to get a visa extension, so we are spending 2 days here in Paramaribo. We were able to see one of my favorite families and share a lesson with them. I was very happy to see them again. we had a very spiritually uplifting lesson. Elder Lake, Elder Koenen and I have had some of the most amazing experiences with them. I am thankful for their faithfulness and their testimonies.

It's great to hear that Holland did well in the first match of the World Cup. We don't watch the games, but people tell us the scores all of the time. They even printed a schedule for us, so we would know who played who and when. The world cup really takes over the lives of these people sometimes. When there is a game there is no way people will let us in to talk.

The mission is an amazing experience, but I am a little excited about what's next. I will work hard for the last few weeks, but I sometimes find myself thinking about my student life at the University of Kent. I am grateful for the opportunity that I have had to be here and the opportunity that I still have to serve.

Thank you for all you have done for me and for your prayers

Love,

Jeff

No comments: